Litter boxes are the bane of cat lovers everywhere, and good ones are worth their weight in gold, if you can find them. This is especially true for those of us who have inside cats, but even outside cats need to potty inside the house sometimes. So, unless you have a kitty like our Sweetheart, who miraculously decided all on her own to use the toilet (you can imagine my surprise the first time I caught her in the act), you need the best litter box you can find.
With a seemingly endless choice of litter boxes out there, it’s helpful to separate them into categories. In this article, we focus on top entry litter boxes, which have several advantages over other styles. They can discourage dogs from getting into the litter (anyone with a dog knows how important this one is), they can cut down on odor, and they will greatly reduce tracking cat litter outside the box. They also have the advantage of giving your cat a bit of privacy, which makes it much more likely that they’ll actually choose the box to potty in. For more on dog-proof litter boxes, see our article here.
All that being said, nothing is perfect. Some cats will not be comfortable with the high sides and roof overhead. Larger cats may find available space inadequate for turning around in the box and pawing of cat litter. The unusual shape means that standard litter box liners won’t fit (though some brands provide box liners).
Things to consider when looking for a top entry litter box:
- Is there enough overhead clearance? Obviously, you’ll need to make sure you have enough clearance for your cat to get in, so be sure to pick your spot in advance and measure any overhead height limit.
- How much floor space is there for the litter box? Sounds obvious, but litter boxes come in many shapes and sizes, including some that are surprisingly large. Measure your space and note the dimensions of litter boxes you are considering.
- How easy will it be for your cat to get through the hole and into the litter box? Consider your cat’s agility and size.
- Is the litter box roomy enough inside for your pet to do its business without feeling too cramped? If you have a large cat, you should choose one of the larger boxes, since top entry boxes are entirely enclosed.
- How easy will the litter box be to clean?
All of the litter boxes below pass our standards for quality, safety, and functionality. Read the features carefully when making your choice, and you and your kitty will be happy with their new litter box in no time.
- Patented lid design virtually eliminates litter tracking. Any litter falls through the holes back into the box.
- Patented Swivel Lid makes cleaning easy. Scoop included.
- Reusable Tarp Liner. The deep, rip-resistant bag is tailored to fit the box and stays up by itself. Lasts up to 3 months.
- Attractive, Award-Winning Design. Available in 3 colors.
- Scoop hangs neatly on the side.
- Dimensions: 15.94 x 15.94 x 14.57 inches*
- Replacement Liner Bags are comparable in price to single-use plastic liners. The unique liner has a built-in tension band that keeps it tight to the sides and securely in place.
*The Modkat website says this litter box is good for cats up to 12 lbs. (5.4 kg), so if you have a larger cat, you should look for a larger box.
- Prevents cats tossing litter outside box
- Grooved lid traps litter falling from feet
- Included scoop hangs neatly on the side
- Rounded design allows easy cleaning
- Available in 4 colors
- Entry Hole Dimensions: 10.5 x 9.0 inches
- Outside Dimensions: 16.14″L x 20.47″W x 14.56″H
- Inside dimensions: (Widest point) 20.0″L x 16.0″W x 14.0″H (Bottom narrowest point) 17.5″L x 13.5″W
- Textured lid catches stray litter
- Lid swivels for easy clean-up
- Curved Corners for easy scooping
- Available in 2 colors (click here for GRAY)
- Top entry discourages dogs from getting into litter
- Provides privacy
- Dimensions: 23.25″ L x 15.5″ W x 15.13″ H
- Generous sized entry accommodates larger cats
- Grated top allows litter to fall into the pan below
- Excellent value at a fraction of the cost of other brands
- Hinged lid for hassle-free cleaning
- Dimensions L 15.94 x W 15.94 x H 14.57 inches
- Built-in handles on bottom of box for easy handling
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualified purchases.